Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Hero














One of my great heroes is a man who made as big an impact on the world as any musician ever has. He changed what it meant to be a star, an activist and a rock and roller. John Lennon was one of a kind. From his humble beginnings in Liverpool to his time with The Beatles and after, John Lennon was an innovator in the field of music and art.

I first took notice of John Lennon in middle school when I went mad for The Beatles. Everything became about John, Paul, George and Ringo for me. I wanted to wear my hair like them, I spent hours each day in my room listening to their music and studying them, I even wore round glasses like John's. I admire so much his talent, his songs and his message of peace and love. While I outgrew my hardcore Beatles obsession, I never outgrew the music. I still listen to their music all the time and read about them on occasion. The Beatles, like John Lennon were a phenomenon that can never be forgotten.

Thirty years ago today, we lost John Lennon. I wasn't even born yet, but I still feel the loss that so many of his fans felt that day. While we have had to go without new songs, inspiring words, and a complete Beatles reunion in the time since 1980, his is an enduring legacy that will always live on. I am grateful for the rich catalogue of work that we have to look back on, and for the way he inspired so many to imagine a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment