Sunday, August 16, 2009

Movie of the Week

This week,

POINT BREAK (1991)

Starring- Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey, Lori Petty

The original bromance that I credit for making me "Crazy for Swayze." I have seen this film quite a few times lately (Thanks, Encore) and even though I can't get enough of the love/hate, cop/robber, Swayze/Reeves relationship, I have to say the real grist for the mill here is brought by Gary Busey.

Busey plays FBI veteran Angelo Pappas who takes young, ex-quarterback Johnny Utah (Reeves) under his wing to catch the surfing, bank robbing Ex-Presidents, led by Swayze. Whether he's on a stakeout pounding 2 meatball sandwiches, dispensing wisdom on the FBI lifestyle, or grabbing bricks from the bottom of a pool, Busey shines in every scene.  Forget all the surfing, skydiving, chases, stunts and homoerotic horseplay, and watch a master at work.

I'll let the man speak for himself with some of his best and most eloquent lines-

"When they run they dump the vehicle and they vanish... like a virgin on prom night. I mean they vanish."

"Listen you snot-nose little shit, I was takin' shrapnel in Khe Sanh when you were crappin' in your hands and rubbin' it on your face. "

"22 years. Man, L.A. has changed a lot during that time. The air got dirty and the sex got clean. "

"Utah! Get me two! "

"I'm so hungry I could eat the ass end out of a dead rhino, I should have had you get me three of these things! "

"I've been on the job for over 20 years, and I fail to see what fishing bricks from the bottom of a pool has got to do with bank robbery. And on top of that, they got me babysitting some quarterback punk, named Johnny Unitas or something. "

That said, there are still some great scenes that don't involve the Juicy Busey, but try and watch the film with a little more awareness for Angelo Pappas. Now enjoy some of the best lines that will take you back to a more innocent time for the two totally radical stars.

"I know Johnny. I know you want me so bad it's like acid in your mouth. But, not this time. "

"Back off Warchild, seriously."

"You gonna jump or jerk off? "

"Vaya con Dios, Brah. "

Things to watch for-

Keanu's sexy black sheets.
Red Hot Chili Peppers' Anthony Keidis gets his foot blown apart
Anytime Bohdi waxes philosophical
John C. McGinley, that's all.

"If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love. "

No comments:

Post a Comment