Sunday, August 23, 2009

Movie of the Week


This week,

MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1992)




Starring- Robin Williams, Sally Field, Pierce Brosnan

Most people have seen this movie, but whether you have or not, it is one of my favorites. It is one of those that is hard to pass up when it comes on T.V., and even then, I still pop in the old VHS every so often.

Robin Williams used to be watchable, believe it or not, and is at the peak of his comedic powers in this film. As the struggling actor/father, he uses his ability to "do voices" to impersonate a cleaning woman/nanny to see his kids and keep an eye on his ex-wife (Sally Field). The film not only delivers laughs, but it makes some nice commentary about how divorce can affect a family. My parents divorced when I was three, and even though my dad never impersonated a British nanny, I feel that I got some good things from this movie about how to cope.

Enough of this sad sack stuff, bottom line- this is a funny movie. The best parts are the montages (I love me a montage) when Robin Williams rattles off impressions to get a job, horrify Sally Field or testing out make up and costumes with his gay brother.

Do yourself a favor and re-watch this and look for the small moments that make it both hilarious and endearing at the same time.

Things to watch for-

The always classic Robert Prosky as Mr. Lundy
Aerosmith's Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
Hot Jambalaya!
Two Fat Asian Kids
Matthew Lawrence (For the ladies only)

"It was a run-by fruiting."

No comments:

Post a Comment