Sunday, October 4, 2009

Movie of the Week















This week,

WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER (2001)

Starring- Janine Garofalo, David Hyde-Pierce, Paul Rudd, Michael Showalter, Amy Poehler

My friend Preston introduced me to this movie a few years ago, and I could not be more thankful to him. I was reluctant to watch it at first, but he was persistent and now I rank this film in my top five comedies of all time. I have even participated in two Wet Hot costume contests with friends because it is such a great cult classic. It is at th
e same time a spoof, satire, gross-out comedy, tribute to summer camp and showcase for young comedy talent. It is directed by David Wain who more recently brought us the funny film- Role Models. After you watch Wet Hot, go back and watch Role Models for the references to this movie.

It is the last day of camp in 1981 at Camp Firewood and there is an abundance of activity going on. In addition to the love triangle of Coop, Katie and Andy, there is the saga of Gene the cook and the can of vegetables, Victor and Neil's trip to Moose river, the talent show and a rogue piece of Skylab that threatens the whole camp.

Everyone in the film is hilarious. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it because it needs to be watched for the first time without knowing too much. I knew about 4 minutes in that this was a very special comedy. If you've been to camp, you'll appreciate it even more, but it will still be funny if you never even came close to going to summer camp. By the way, the soundtrack kicks ass!

Things to Watch For-

Law and Order SVU's Christopher Meloni as Gene
Rachel Clipper-Hofferman
The Hangover's Bradley Cooper as Ben
Dick Cream, Sweaters, Mud and the Fridge
"The New Way"

"In your dreams, Douchebag."
"Douchebags are hygenic products, I take that as a compliment."

Below is me and my friends as Wet Hot peeps-











"Next time, you drive the van."

No comments:

Post a Comment